7 fun things to do in rainy Paris - Bus 142
DESTINATIONS France Lists

7 fun things to do in rainy Paris

I never had this big dream of visiting Paris. I don’t mean to say I didn’t want to go there – seriously, where do I not want to go to? – but all the glamour around the city never really hit me. But while I was planning my Eurotrip 2016 I decided it was time to finally go to the French capital, partly because my mom, who was my partner during this part of the trip, had been there and really loved it, and also because well, you know? It’s right over there, tickets are cheap, so let’s just go grab some croissant!

Even though I had zero expectations around Paris, as soon as I booked my ticket I started going crazy picturing all these imaginary scenario involving Paris, many lights, caps, accordion music on the streets, baguettes under the arm and the fancy accent. The whole clichê. All of a sudden I had a million plans for Paris and couldn’t wait to arrive there.

So after I spent an amazing day in Lisbon and an awesome period in Madrid with a short trip to Toledo, I finally arrived in Paris, and then… it was a disaster.

It practically didn’t stop raining. It poured so bad that they actually closed the Louvre to move some artwork to a higher spot afraid the flood would be as bad as 1910’s. Even the Sena got closed! And along with all the rain came a massive wind that looked like angry Zeus himself, making me so cold in almost June, supposedly Summer time in Europe. Did I have a coat with me? Of course not. On top of that, we stayed in a not so great apartment, and unfortunately we experienced a lot of the famous Parisian bad mood with people literally pushing us on the streets. Things can be very expensive in Paris and how easy is it to get lost there? I don’t usually care – how can I really? I get lost everyday when I travel – but to get lost in the cold rain with no one’s help… a whole different story.

O que fazer em Paris com chuva

Even this pigeon looks disappointed with all the rain

O que fazer em Paris com chuva

Had to hold the umbrella even for the picture!

Let go of worries and have fun during a difficult situation in a fine art I’m still learning. I confess I was in a bad mood with all this rainy weather (sorry, mom!), but now it’s all gone here’s the thing: yeah, Paris is really beautiful! If you wanna visit Paris, just go for it! The city is huge and full of distinct expressions, gorgeous architecture and cultural options, many coffee shops, restaurants and things to do and see. It is indeed exciting to experience Paris’ emotions: see the Eiffel Tower for the first time, stroll around the Sena, watch the super famous monuments, explore the amazing Montmartre…

I just hope you are luckier than I was to experience sunny days or at least have the right outfit with you. But in case you need it, here is a mini guide on 7 things to enjoy in Paris even when it’s raining:

What to do in rainy Paris

1. Do a cooking class

O que fazer em Paris com chuva

Baking some goodies!

O que fazer em Paris com chuva

Look how good they turned out!

O que fazer em Paris com chuva

I made this little guy here!

It’s impossible to think of Paris and not remember at least one of it’s gastronomic icons. My best idea was to enjoy this trip and learn how to prepare of of these things: I tried the croissant & breakfast pastries class at La Cuisine Paris and just loved it! Everything about it was GREAT! It was super fun to spend some time with a real chef who shared some French cousine tricks (that I probably forgot by now) and leave the place carrying the fresh pastries I had baked myself! All the classes are taught in English and the school’s staff are very helpful with recommendations on places to eat or buy ingredients around Paris.

2. Visit a museum – or many ones!

O que fazer em Paris com chuva - Louvre

The rain might be a good opportunity to take an almost people-free picture of Louvre’s pyramids

O que fazer em Paris com chuva - Louvre

O que fazer em Paris com chuva - Louvre

Half the Egypt is here on the Louvre

O que fazer em Paris com chuva - Louvre

Gorgeous on the inside too!

There are hundreds of museums throughout the city and you probably already have one scheduled for your time in Paris, but museums are even more special (and handy) during rainy weather. I wish I could’ve been to more museums, but in the end I just attended the Louvre, which was not originally on my plans, but I really loved it! The museum is massive, filled with amazing art and just to walk around its halls it’s a great experience already. Try and visit the museums during their expended hours once many tourists don’t pay attention to this detail and they tend to be much less crowded. Take the Louvre: it closes at 6:00 pm everyday but on Wednesdays and Fridays, when it’s open until 9:45 pm, making it possible to check Mona Lisa up close with barely no one in front of you!

3. Go shopping

Paris has many galleries, some pretty famous and almost exclusively attended by big tourist groups, like Lafayette. If shopping in the middle of a crowd is your thing, you gonna love it! There are endless options and brands, and may I suggest you bring me a souvenir? But really, even if that’s not your thing, this gallery is so beautiful it’s worth a visit at least to check the amazing glass ceiling.

O que fazer em Paris com chuva

Another good option are the little boutique stores “lost” around town. We’ve been to a art supplies one called Charvin on our way back from an almost visit to Musée d’Orsay (have I mentioned how the rain ruined things and closed the museums? I thought so). Won’t say if we spent a good hour just going through inks and brushes here. Ok, we did.

O que fazer em Paris com chuva

4. Study French

Studying French was my initial plan in Paris, but once I just have a few days in the city I decided to change plans and studied Spanish when I was in Spain instead. What I can say though is that learning a language in its original home country is an amazing and rich experience. The well known school Alliance Française offers classes in Paris and other French cities starting every week. Who knows I might be back to Paris in the upcoming future to study a bit?

5. Explore the churches

O que fazer em Paris na chuva - Notre Dame

Notre Dame from a lovely square!

O que fazer em Paris na chuva - Sacre Cour

Sacré Cœur

O que fazer em Paris na chuva - Sacre Cour

Consider lighting a candle asking the rain to stop maybe?

O que fazer em Paris na chuva - Sacre Cour

If it does work, go running explore Montmartre!

Paris has a lot of famous and amazing churches, some forever immortalized in our memories by classic books and movies. For me, as a “The Fabulous Destiny of Amélie Poulain” fan, I loved visiting Sacré Cœur. I was also touched to learn that it was at the Notre Dame Cathedral that Joan of Arc was beatified and “lost” her reputation of a witch. There was a several-hours line to go up the top of Notre Dame, but to visit the main nave took just a few minutes and was totally free!

6. Find the bookstores

Bookstores should be considered Wonders of the World. I can’t imagine a better place than one surrounded by books, stories and, with some luck, a good cup of coffee. Paris is full of bookstores and I chose the lovely Shakespeare and Company to visit, nearby Notre Dame. Besides all the good new and old books, they have nice bags and an open piano. Go ahead and visit their coffeeshoo too, in the same corner – great soup!

bus142_paris_chuva_-28

7. Eat!

Of course I had to bring food into discussion! Eating is one of my favorites things ever, and traveling goes hand in hand with trying good food. Enjoy the rainy day to gaze at the rain through the window, enjoying some coffee and maybe some desert, too. Hmmm!
My suggestion: even if it’s raining you should stop by Montmatre neighborhood, the eternal scenario where we met Amélie Poulain and her fabulous chanel and visit Café des Deux Moulins, the coffee shop she was a waitress on. I loved feeling inside the movie for a while and how great is it to break the crust of a crème brûlée? ~creeeck~

Café des Deux Moulins

Café des Deux Moulins

So, yes, the rain might have been inconvenient for me to fulfill my favorite traveling activity: just walk around a lot! But still, merci for the cold, wet but still awesome days, Paris!

And for you, what’s the big secret to turn around a trip that isn’t going exactly as you planned?

You Might Also Like

23 Comments

Vy
    Thursday October 6th, 2016 at 05:47 PM

Eu tinha essa mesma “espectativa” de Paris e quando pisei lá, sério, amor a primeira vista, mesmo debaixo da chuva <3 Fui um pouco antes de você, em abril, peguei uns dias ensolarados mas a maioria era bem mais frio que aqui. Deu pra aproveitar, andar muito, ver muitas coisas… Mas ainda assim parece que não vi nada e quero voltar pra ver mais!

Mari Guedes
      Friday October 7th, 2016 at 08:40 PM

Vy, o problema não foi o frio, mas uma chuva e um vento que só davam vontade de ficar em casa 🙁 Acho que se tivesse visitado em outras condições, meu sentimento em relação a cidade teria sido outro. Mas tudo certo, deu pra curtir bastante coisa e voltar com boas histórias! haha

Aline Amorim
    Friday October 7th, 2016 at 08:42 AM

Eu tenho muita vontade de conhecer Paris. Não está entre as primeiras escolhas, mas a vontade existe.
    Foi uma pena ter chovido tanto né, mas ainda bem que você conseguir ter pontos positivos e aproveitar muitas coisas da cidade.
    Gostei muito do post!
    Beijos

Mari Guedes
      Friday October 7th, 2016 at 08:41 PM

Vale a visita sim, Li! Mas vou ser sincera: não entrou no meu ranking de cidades-amor-pelo-mundo. Mas acho que é muito pessoal isso, né?

Luciana Salles
    Friday October 7th, 2016 at 10:45 AM

Que fotos lindas! Apesar da chuva, as fotos ficaram lindas e me deu uma baita vontade de embarcar já nessa viagem! Foi uma viagem um tanto quanto à la parisiense né?

já estava sentindo falta dos posts aqui mari!

Beijos ♥

Mari Guedes
      Friday October 7th, 2016 at 08:43 PM

Obrigada, Lu <3 Quando cheguei em casa vi que não consegui tirar tanta foto assim, porque com a chuva acabava pegando só o celular. Mas ainda tiveram algumas que se salvaram! hahaha
      Foi uma viagem zero glamour, viu? Aprendi a valorizar a capinha de chuva de R$3 que estava na bolsa! Mas valeu 😉

Natasha Arruda
    Saturday October 8th, 2016 at 09:27 AM

Uau!! Fazer uma aula de culinária, com certeza!!!

Mari Guedes
      Tuesday October 11th, 2016 at 12:36 AM

Me senti a própria chef! hahaha

Rita
    Saturday October 8th, 2016 at 10:51 PM

Eu tenho todos os clichês parisienses como expectativa, mas Paris pra mim é um sonho, daqueles bem distantes… Mas um dia, se realizar, suas dicas serão muito válidas, com chuva, sol, geada, enfim… rsrs. Adoro isso aqui gente!!!
    Beijos

Mari Guedes
      Tuesday October 11th, 2016 at 12:39 AM

Um tempo seco com certeza ajuda na realização desses sonhos, Ri! hahaha Mas Paris é linda mesmo de qualquer jeito!

Lila Martins
    Monday October 10th, 2016 at 01:53 PM

Um lugar mais lindo que o outro! Pena ter chovido, mas pelas fotos foi igualmente memorável!

Mari Guedes
      Tuesday October 11th, 2016 at 12:40 AM

Pena mesmo, Lila! Eu amo poder andar muito quando viajo, e em Paris acabei andando muito foi de metrô! Mas valeu 😉

Carol Pestana
    Monday October 10th, 2016 at 02:09 PM

Amei demais! Sou totalmente louca por Paris e vivo desse clichê, moda parisiense e os museus, um sonho que não vejo a hora de realizar.
    Adorei as dicas!
    Beijão!

Mari Guedes
      Tuesday October 11th, 2016 at 12:41 AM

Paris é demais mesmo, Ca! 😉

Clayci
    Monday October 10th, 2016 at 04:27 PM

ótimas dicas..
    se bem que é Paris né gente?
    com chuva ou sol o lugar é lindo hahahah

beijos

Mari Guedes
      Tuesday October 11th, 2016 at 12:43 AM

É aquela história: tomei chuva, mas tomei chuva em Paris! Então tudo certo! hahaha

Ane
    Tuesday October 11th, 2016 at 10:37 PM

Gente muito amor por este post. Paris é um lugar que quero conhecer um dia e este guia mostrou que apesar de o clima não ter ajudado ainda sim há muitas possibilidades para se aproveitar a viagem.!

Mari Guedes
      Thursday October 13th, 2016 at 02:03 AM

Isso com certeza sempre tem <3 Acho que se eu soubesse que o tempo ia estar tão chuvoso assim tinha planejado ainda mais atividades indoor - de repente mais uma aula. Ainda da pra curtir MUITO Paris, mesmo com chuva!

Flávia Donohoe
    Sunday October 16th, 2016 at 07:09 PM

Eu adoro Paris, mas tenho que reconhecer que a cidade é insuportável às vezes, mas assim como você citou dá pra fazer muita coisa na cidade, acho que já fiz todos os itens da lista, mas o meu preferido é ir nas livrarias e visitar as igrejas e os museus.

Mari Guedes
      Monday October 24th, 2016 at 03:09 PM

Apesar da minha experiência não ter sido tão boa, eu realmente achei que tem bastante opção! Mas eu acredito que seja uma cidade um pouco mais complexa, na verdade, daquelas que você precisa aprender a amar, sabe? Quem sabe eu não volte pra testar essa teoria haha

Josiane Bravo
    Saturday October 22nd, 2016 at 08:35 PM

Menina, que artigo mais lindo. Mesmo com chuva, tem lugares como Paris que tem opções para todos os gostos. Nunca fui a cidade, mas sei que é um lugar o qual é possível perder-se em um café, livraria (que amo), muses, e muito mais. E sobre o curso de francês que você mencionou, eu estou louca para fazer isso, ir para França para aprender a língua romÂntica que para mim é uma das mais lindas. Fiz algo parecido esse ano, fui estudar em Buenos Aires durante 1 mês (um curso intensivo de espanhol), e acho que acabou saindo muito mais barato do que ficar anos e anos estudando aqui no Brasil. Outra coisinha que lembrei lendo esse post foi no filme “Me before You”, o qual faz uma citação dos cafés fofos de Paris, se você já o assistiu, deve lembrar do final do filme né (não vou comentar aqui para não ficar chato para quem não viu rs).

Um grande abraço e desculpe-me pelo textão. Quando gosto de um post eu me empolgo nos comentários.

Mari Guedes
      Monday October 24th, 2016 at 03:22 PM

Obrigada pelo carinho, Josi <3 Adoro comentários grandes e empolgados assim! haha
      Tem bastante coisa em Paris, mesmo! A cidade é enorme e acredito que seja aquele tipo de destino que você pode ir muitas vezes e sempre descobrir um lado novo. Embora eu honestamente não tenha muita vontade de voltar, pelo menos por enquanto.
      Eu estava louca pra estudar francês também! Acho o idioma muito lindo. Mas como me mudei pro Panamá, achei que valia mais a pena estudar o espanhol. Fiz 1 semana na Espanha e realmente, a experiência é incrível! A gente aprende MUITO mais, né? Essa é uma coisa que, se possível, vou fazer mais vezes.

Josiane Bravo
        Monday October 24th, 2016 at 08:37 PM

Que delícia, você morando no Panamá. Eu achei que 1 mês foi muito pouco para aprender espanhol, e isso porque a língua é mais fácil para nós brasileiros. Fico imaginando com o francês, acho que teria que estudar no minímo uns 6 meses hehe.

Abraços